Amazing chicken dish that is very easy to make and is super scrumptious. Combination of garlic, honey and soy sauce makes it really irresistible. Leaks and carrots add another level of slight sweetness. Serve this braised chicken with carrots and leeks over rice and you won’t be able to stop eating.
If you love chicken, then put this recipe on your ‘To Do’ list. I made it for the first time many, many moons ago, back in Poland.
I was actually inspired by a cooking show, where one of the famous Polish singers was making it on TV. I’m not exactly sure if the recipe is the same but its origins are still there.
It became one of my signature dishes that always comes out delicious and everyone who tries it loves it. My other signature chicken dishes include: One Pan Herbed Lemon Chicken with Veggies, Greek Chicken with Tomatoes, Cauliflower and Feta, Dijon and Mayer Lemon Chicken or my Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken.
This braised chicken with leeks and carrots dish is sweet, savory and a little bit spicy; but you may choose to skip the cayenne and the dish will still be super delicious. I actually just recently started to add cayenne pepper to this dish to spice it up – but this step is totally optional.
It’s also easy to make, and for those who eat meat is very healthy. You can use brown rice instead of basmati for more whole-grain version. The dish is packed with veggies and because it is sweet, the kids usually love it. So, go ahead and give this braised chicken with carrots and leeks a try. Your family will thank you for that 🙂
Here is the printable recipe:
- 6 chicken thighs on a bone
- 2 leaks chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- ½ cup of honey
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 or 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of parley to garnish
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- Combine soy sauce, honey and chopped garlic in a bowl
- Season chicken with a little bit of salt (not too much as it will marinade in the soy sauce), pepper and cayenne pepper
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes
- In a Dutch oven, or other braising pot, heat up the oil
- Once the oil is hot, place the chicken skin side down and cook until the skin gets brown
- Turn the chicken and cook on the other side
- Take the chicken out and put carrots, leaks and celery into the pot - adding a little bit of water to scrape the pan
- Let it cook for 5-10 minutes
- Return chicken to the pan, adding the remainder of the marinade
- Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through
- Occasionally during the cooking time, stir the dish so it isn't sticking to the pot
- When the chicken is braising, cook rice according to directions
- Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with parsley
If you like this recipe you may also like these chicken recipes: