This Mushroom Black Bean Veggie Burger recipe is the best veggie burger you can ever make. Healthy, easy and super delicious. The best part – it’s veggie burger that sticks together!
I cannot believe this! I made my own mushroom black bean veggie burger! And it wasn’t falling apart.
One of my friends from work is vegetarian and I recently told her that I want to make these veggie burgers. She looked at me stunned and said: “Edyta, you don’t make veggie burgers, you buy veggie burgers.” Hm… that turned out to become a challenge for me.
I came across this awesome recipe for Chunky Portabella Veggie Burgers from the Kitchen Whisperer and instantly fell in love. I found these beautiful portabella mushrooms and decided to give it a try.
I put my own spin on it and I really liked it. Having been raised in Poland, (which by the way, my husband refers to as “a mushroom picking country”) I have my own way around mushrooms.
(You can read about “mushroom picking” traditions in Poland in my post where I shared a recipe for Sauerkraut and Mushrooms.)
Anyways, I always chose them sauteed with onions over the raw ones. And that’s exactly what I did here. I chopped some onions and sweat them in the olive oil, added chopped portabella and let it cook for a while.
Important thing here is, to cook the mushrooms until all the water is evaporated and also have them cooled off completely before you start mixing with other ingredients.
Another important tip, that I find out recently, is that the beans needs to be dried out of all the moisture. After you rinse your beans, spread them on paper towel and pat them dry.
When combined with binding ingredients, these two tricks should make your veggie burgers stick together.
I made thesis beautiful babies over the weekend and took them for lunch to work the next day. I brought one for my vegetarian friend, who does not believe that one can make her own veggie burgers, and she was super impressed.
She couldn’t believe that they sticked together so well and wanted to take a photo to show her husband. I think it is a pretty good endorsement.
So what’s so great about these mushroom black bean veggie burgers after all?
- They are vegetarian. You can enjoy this summer BBQ staple (aka burger) without the meat.
- They are healthy. Black Beans + Mushrooms = The Health Bomb!
- They taste amazing. Parmesan cheese and parsley add a special Italian flavour.
- They are super easy to make. You need only few simple ingredients mixed together: portabella mushrooms, onions, black beans, eggs, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and parsley.
- They are impressive. They smell great, they taste great but they also look great.
- And the best part – they stick together!
Do I need to say more? Make one or ten for yourself and let me know how you liked them.
Mushroom Black Bean Veggie Burger RecipePrint
- 2 large Portobello Mushrooms (or 4 cups), chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) Black Beans, rinsed and dried
- 3/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon Parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of mixed seasoning (optional) (I used 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe, but you can use any seasoning you like)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil , and more for brushing
- In a sauté pan heat up the oil
- Add chopped onions and cook until soften, about 2 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for another minute
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes until mushrooms are softened but all the moisture has evaporated
- Once mushrooms are cooked, remove from the heat and let them cool off
- In the meantime, rinse the black beans and spread them on the paper towel and pat them dry (you want your beans to be dry)
- In a large mixing bowl add the beans and using fork mash most of them, leaving some of them whole
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well
- Form patties and set them aside (make sure your hands are wet as the mixture will be sticky)
- Heat up flat griddle, brush it with olive oil
- Place patties on a hot griddle and cook 2-3 minutes on each side
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in this Mushroom Pesto Toast: