Perfect healthy, vegan, gluten free treat on freezing cold winter days. Tomatoes Red Lentils Coconut Soup – doesn’t it sound amazing? I got inspired by Indian Daal dish that I once made. It contained red lentils, cauliflower, tomatoes and coconut milk. And of course the Indian spices. But the combination was something that really resonated with me.
The marriage of the flavors was just perfect. I actually brought the Indian Daal dish, once I made it, to work and asked my Indian friend to try it. She was stunned and said that it tasted like her mother’s. I thought it was a really nice complement. Then I thought that if lentils, tomatoes and coconut went so well in this dish, I should try it in a soup.
And that’s how my Tomatoes Red Lentils Coconut Soup was born.
I loooove tomatoes soup. And when I was growing up the tomatoes soup looked totally different than cream of tomatoes so well know in US. Polish tomatoes soup is made based on broth (meat, vegetable etc), with tomato paste and finished with a little mixture of flour with cream to thicken it up. We serve it either with noodles or rice.
I love every kind of tomatoes soup. Whether it’s Polish, American or my new version of super healthy vegan, gluten free and coconutty tomatoes soup. I’ll take them all. Apparently my 2-year old too. He ate this soup like nobody’s business.
The best thing about this Tomatoes Red Lentils Coconut Soup is that it’s super easy to make. You only need few ingredients: onions, can of chopped tomatoes, split red lentils, olive oil, broth and coconut milk.
You start by sautéing some onions, add tomatoes, rinsed lentils, cover with broth, add salt and pepper and let it simmer until lentils are cooked through. At the end add coconut milk and you’re done. I like to puree some of the soup to thicken it up, but this step is optional, depending on whether you like soups more chunky or creamy.
You can sprinkle it with some parsley and enjoy this amazing soup on a cold winter day. It’s super cold here in New York. I’m running to the kitchen to get another bowl.
Tomatoes Red Lentils Coconut SoupPrint
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 cup of split red lentils , rinsed
- 2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 can (15 0z) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , plus more for garnish
- 3-4 cups of water or broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley to garnish
- In a dutch oven or other heavy pan, heat up the oil, add onion and cook for 3 minutes until translucent
- Add tomato paste, lentils, and can of tomatoes
- Stirr and let it cook for another 3 minutes
- Add water or broth, cover and let it cook for about 20 minutes
- Add coconut milk, salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes
- Adjust seasoning
- At this time you can use immerse blander and blend some of the soup (or as much as you like; I like it a little chunky so I only pureed a little bit to give it texture)
- Serve with parsley, olive oil and cracked pepper.
If you like this recipe you may also like this Golden Bell Pepper Soup with Cayenne Pepper and Greek Yogurt: